The Church

The church of Weiterode was built in the 13th century. The steeple is the only part of the original building that has survived until today. During significant structural alterations in 1619 the altar was moved to the west in the nave. Furthermore a porch was built in the steeple, serving as the main entrance. After the destruction of the interior during the Thirty Years’ War, the fortified church was thoroughly reconditioned in 1719. Since then the church is considered one of the nicest hessian churches.

The baroque ceiling fresco known under the topic “heavenly music” and the colored two storied galleries were completely restored in 2003 and 2005.

More information about the congregation of Weiterode can be found on the homepages of the church district Rotenburg